Tech editing for accessory patterns.
I edit knitting patterns for beginning and experienced designers. Just getting started? I can help you review your pattern and layout and make sure your pattern makes sense. Have a bunch of designs already? I check your pattern against your style sheet (or other patterns) for consistency and clarity.
What do you check?
- Math: stitch counts, repeats, that all the numbers make sense, and written instructions match charts.
- Standards and Format: pattern matches your style, is consistent, uses standard abbreviations and layout, and has all the parts necessary.
Can you do schematics? Yes! I do basic schematics in Illustrator.
What types of patterns do you edit? I edit patterns for accessories: hats, lace shawls, scarves, cowls, mittens, socks, and other small items.
Can you do a quick review of part or pattern or just a chart? Yes, I can review individual portions of a pattern if you are not ready for a full edit, including checking charts against written instructions.
What is the turnaround? Pattern edits are typically complete in 1-2 weeks. There is an additional fee for rush jobs. Please send your pattern in a Word doc or PDF. In Word I use track changes and comments and for PDFs I use sticky notes to add comments and show you what needs to change.
What type of things do tech editors catch? A little bit of everything. Math errors like incorrect number of repeats or stitch count, errors in charts and the written directions, forgotten abbreviations, converting numbers incorrectly, and wording a layout that is not clear.
- Tech Editing and Pattern/Chart Review: $25/hour and invoiced via Paypal. There is $10 minimum per invoice.
- Basic Review: $10. Don’t need a full tech edit? Getting ready to send a pattern in for submission or to test knitters and need another set of eyes to make sure nothing is missing and everything makes sense? I check to make sure you have all the parts your pattern needs, is consistent, and that the layout makes sense. (Doesn’t include checking math)
- Email me at support (at) midnightskyfibers (dot) com for questions or to get started. Please include the pattern name in the subject.